Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Life Of A Vagabond

"The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes sight-seeing." -Daniel J. Boorstin

First of all, if you were wondering who the hell Daniel J. Boorstin is...

Seriously though, Mr. Boorstin is right. Basically, the combination of someone calling me a vagabond and then coming across this quote, made me wonder what exactly someone would need to do to be considered a 'vagabond'.
Okay well it's actually quite simple really. Vagabond=Bindlestiff (see earlier post)
No home, no job, etc.
So I wouldn't say I'm a vagabond per se, just a simple traveler.

But really it's easy to become said 'vagabond'.
I'd say the people that tend to 'get up and go' fall into at least one, if not all, of the following.

- Just needed a change and wanted to find oneself.
- No serious obligations holding them back.
- Is not the typical 9-5 kinda person.
- Fascination of fully immersing yourself into a different culture.

You could definitely name a lot more categories, but I think we get the gist of it.
I personally think traveling is something everyone needs to experience.
And I don't mean taking a vacation. I mean actually traveling, and as previously stated, fully immersing yourself into a different culture. Living there, studying there, working there.

Can't over think it. just gotta go for it. If anything, you'll be sure to meet a lot of interesting people.
And isn't that what life is all about really? Socializing? Seeing new faces? Shaking new hands Networking?
'It's not what you know but who you know,' I believe is the saying.
Definitely true, to a certain extent.






No comments:

Post a Comment